Digital Strategy Lead
Posted: May 13, 2019
There is an immediate opening for a Digital Strategy Lead position with Generation Squeeze. Like other team members at the organization, this person will work the equivalent of 30 hours/week (0.8 FTE) from any location in Canada, although ideally somewhere in British Columbia or Ontario. The salary range for this role is $45,000-$50,000 annually, depending on experience.
Application Deadline: May 31, 2019. Candidates will be considered as applications are received.
Who we are
Generation Squeeze is a national research, education and advocacy organization for Canadians in their 20s, 30s and 40s. Millions of younger Canadians are facing a 360-degree squeeze created by skyrocketing housing and child care costs, stagnant earnings and mounting debts (including public ones like climate change). Our work helps tackle this squeeze in four important ways:
- The Gen Squeeze lab at the University of BC provides analysis that explains why hard work doesn’t pay off for younger Canadians like it used to, and what we can do about it.
- We lobby decision makers within all levels of government around solutions to the squeeze, and regularly engage with the media to amplify them.
- We run people-powered campaigns that demonstrate strong public (and voter) support for progressive policies that ease the squeeze.
- Through our Member Perks program, we negotiate discounts to help younger Canadians save time and money, and live more sustainably.
Reporting to the executive directors, the Digital Strategy Lead will help plan and execute digital communications and fundraising activities for Generation Squeeze. This stellar individual will drive engagement on platforms like email, our website and social media, using data-driven strategies to build and activate Gen Squeeze’s supporter base. This is an exciting opportunity to help us connect with millions of younger Canadians on issues that matter most to them. And to collaborate with a small but mighty team that loves to think fast, work hard and trade many, many GIFS on Slack.
Experience you'll need for this role
- At least five (5) years experience working in digital communications and fundraising
- Designing and delivering online fundraising campaigns, including via email and web (we’ll ask how you set and met targets)
- Successfully managing social media accounts, including Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, for a cause-based or non-profit organization (we’ll ask about the types of growth and engagement you fostered and how you did it)
- Running digital advertising campaigns, including on Facebook (we’ll ask for an explanation of how to run great ads on social and some examples)
- Writing compelling online copy about complex issues (we'll want to know the types of ideas you helped translate for other organizations)
- Pulling and analyzing performance analytics for web, email and social media (we’ll ask for your ideas on metrics that matter and how to track them)
- Coming up with innovative ideas to get the job done and finding creative ways to leverage your experience and expertise (we’ll ask how you did this in previous roles, and how you might do it with us at Gen Squeeze)
What we'd love you to have for this role
- Working knowledge of NationBuilder
- Experience engaging audiences around social issues and advocacy
- A history of taking steps (i.e. attending conferences, trainings, etc.) to stay on top of the latest trends and tools in digital engagement
- The ability to work remotely
- Awesome communication skills
- A sense of humour
- Data-nerd DNA
- An interest in current affairs and politics
- A passion for justice, equity and sustainability
What you'll do at Gen Squeeze
You’ll build on the skills you’ve honed at other organizations to:
- Help design and deliver Gen Squeeze’s online fundraising strategy
- Help develop and lead the delivery of our social media strategy, including day-to-day management of our Facebook, Twitter and Instagram accounts
- Help develop and deliver our email communications such as newsletters and targetted outreach with Gen Squeeze supporters, including by using custom segments and lists
- Assist with content management on our NationBuilder website
- Track and report on how our digital platforms are performing, whether we are meeting our digital goals, and ways we could improve
- Support online campaign communications
- Contribute to and use an organizational editorial calendar to guide our digital outreach
- Ensure our databases are clean and current
- Act as a point-of-contact for those seeking information from the organization, including donors
- Stay on top of Gen Squeeze’s issues, campaigns and key messages so you can easily communicate about them with others
Want to join our team?
We're accepting applications until May 31, 2019. That means you should apply now if this job sounds right for you. Please email your cover letter, resume and references to email@example.com with 'Digital Strategy Lead' in the subject line.
Check out these tips on how to put together a sweet application package. (Spoiler: Use examples to show, not tell, how you’re the best person for this gig.) Like most people our age, we rarely talk on the phone anymore so please don’t call. If you want to learn more about who we are and how we work, check out Gen Squeeze’s website and social accounts.