Guided by research from Dr. Karen Foster and Andrew Langille (Barrister & Solicitor) and the Canadian Intern Association we support recommendations to:
- Implement a Youth Labour Market Planning Board, along with a Workforce Renewal Fund to promote job sharing between retirement age workers and new hires.
- Tax Incentives for firms with payrolls exceeding $250k to allocate one per cent of pay roll to training young employees.
- Reserve 1/5th of jobs created by government infrastructure projects for young workers, and annually fund 20,000 6 month paid internships in the non-profit sector.
- Amend workplace laws to better protect interns, trainees and students in the areas of employment standards, occupational health & safety, and workers’ compensation.
- Review Employment Insurance (EI) to determine what changes are necessary and feasible to recognize that prolonged periods of precarious work are now a feature of school to labour market transition for many.